Saturday, September 27, 2008
Punt, Pass and Kick
On Thursday I hosted my Punt, Pass and Kick competition for my 4th and 5th grade students. The first two years that I did it, I had every student participate during my p.e. classes. This took a lot of time, usually two or three classes, so I changed how I run my competition. For the past two years, I've held the competition on a volunteer basis. I held it after school to allow the student's who were interested to come and compete, which didn't take up my p.e. class time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I think sometimes we forget we can stay after school to get things accomplished. Did you have a lot of participants? More than you expected? Last year, we taught Pickle Ball and some kids absolutely LOVED it. It was just exciting to see them take a liking to a unit we were teaching. At the same time, they were begging us to have a tournament. This year, we're moving our unit to the winter when we're able to stay after school more because neither of us are coaching during the winter months. I like seeing people spend that extra time to make their student's school experience that much better.
Sounds like a good idea. I remember do this competition back in my middle school days. It was very competitive. Did you give away any rewards to the winners?
Patrick,
There were 4 winners, a boy and girl from the 8 and 9 year old group, and a boy and girl from the 10-11 year old group. Each participant gets a certificate, and the top 3 boys and girls from each age group gets a ribbon. The 4 students who won get to move on and compete at Quaker Valley High School, and if they qualify there, they would participate during half time of a Steelers game.
How many kid's competed in comparison to when they were in your class? I guess that's a two part question so let me exaplin my question lol. 1. Did all of the kid's in your P.E. classes compete? If they did, did you have the same amount of kid's come when it was after school?
For my practicum I want to incorporate flag football and football skills into a mini camp for girls. Probably mostly 1-8. Eventually, I would like to make it a yearly camp throughout numerous different schools within the Pittsburgh area. Then eventually to piggy back off of that, start a punt, pass, kick competition for the halftime of our passion games. Where the kid's attending the camp could show case their talents. Slightly irrelevant to your blog haha, but I'm just curious about how many kid's where interested.
Post a Comment